Skip to Content

U.S. Marshals Service

U.S. Marshals Service for Students

A Week in the Life of a Deputy U.S. Marshal

Monday  | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday |

Today, I start out like any other work day . . .  working out in the gym. Staying in shape is a requirement in the Marshals Service and it is important to be both physically and mentally prepared for any situation that may arise during the day. After lifting weights, I always enjoy a relaxing run . . . and today is no different from any other day.

I am in the office by 0800 (8:00 am - this is military time which identifies each hour of the 24 hours in the day) and going through my emails.  I see that I received information back on a collateral lead that I had sent out to Ohio. A collateral lead is investigative information gathered on a fugitive that may be located in another district or jurisdiction.  I had collected information on a probation violator (a person who fails to follow the orders of a federal court) wanted in Eastern Washington, but I believe was hiding in Ohio. This information included electronic communication between family members and the fugitive. Deputies from the Cincinnati Marshals Office have gone to the address I gave them  and arrested the subject.  In addition to the arrest, they seized (take possession) approximately  $3,000.00 in U.S. Currency and some illegal drugs.  The Marshals in Cincinnati will work with the Drug Enforcement Administration Agents (DEA) to prosecute the subject.

By 1000 (10:00 am), I am working with 3 deputies from the Spokane County Sheriffs Office Career Criminal Unit.  We work together in a group called a task force.  The purpose of this task force is to work together to catch both Federal and local fugitives. 

We set up surveillance (closely watch or observe) on a last known address of a fugitive who is wanted by the DEA.  The DEA usually transfers apprehension (arrest)  authority to the Marshals Service so that they may focus their attention on more drug investigations.  Before long, I observe a vehicle pull into the driveway that matches the description of a vehicle that had been driven by the fugitive's girlfriend. The vehicle stops near the house and the driver gets out. Sure enough, it is him.  I radio to the other units and we all move in with our vehicles.  I pull my vehicle in behind the fugitive's vehicle so that he can't escape.  As soon as I yell  "POLICE" the fugitive takes off running toward the back yard . . .  the chase is on.  After running through the yards of three houses, Deputy Smith tackles the subject.  It takes three law enforcement officers to restrain (hold) the fugitive.   Since it is still early in the day we take the former fugitive to the Marshals Office to prepare him for an initial appearance with the Magistrate Judge.

Before the day is over, we arrest 2 more fugitives on local charges, but none as exciting as our first arrest of the day. I am home by 1700 (5:00 pm) today, which is rare but enjoyable to be home at a decent time. is an official site of the U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice