News Banner

For Immediate Release

September 29, 2009 Michael R. Regan, United States Marshal
Middle District of Pennsylvania (717) 221-2213
USMS Headquarters Public Affairs (202) 307-9065
Joint U.S. Marshals/Williamsport Bureau of Police Effort Ends in Surrender of Murder Fugitive
Shooting occurred in Williamsport on July 13

Williamsport, PA - U.S. Marshal Michael R. Regan and Williamsport Police Chief Gregory Foresman announced today that murder fugitive Riccheem Barker surrendered to U.S. Marshals and Williamsport Bureau of Police detectives in Newark, New Jersey.

Barker was being sought on an arrest warrant signed by Magisterial District Judge Jerry C. Lepley in Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania.

On July 13, the Williamsport Bureau of Police responded to 432 Glenwood Avenue on the report of a gunshot victim. Upon arrival, local officers found the female victim, who had a gunshot wound to her neck and was unconscious. The victim, Olletta Mashonda Alford, was transported to a local hospital, and then life-flighted to the Geisinger Medical Center in Danville. She was placed on life support, and died from her injuries on July 21. The crime scene investigation revealed that a disturbance had occurred at Apartment 2E. The attacker fled the scene prior to the arrival of law enforcement personnel.

The Williamsport Bureau of Police obtained an arrest warrant against Barker, charging him with:

  • one count of Criminal Homicide
  • two counts of Aggravated Assault
  • two counts of Simple Assault
  • one count of Illegal Possession and Use of a Firearm
  • one count of Carrying a Firearm without a License
  • one count of Possession of an Instrument of Crime

On July 14, the Williamsport Bureau of Police requested the assistance of the U.S. Marshals Service (USMS) to locate and apprehend Barker. This murder fugitive case was adopted as part of the U.S. Marshals Service’s Fugitive Task Force in the Middle District of Pennsylvania, and was given the highest priority.

U.S. Marshals in Williamsport developed information that Barker fled the Lycoming County area shortly after the shooting. Investigative leads were sent to the U.S. Marshals Service’s New York/New Jersey Regional Fugitive Task Force (NY/NJ RFTF). For two months, U.S. Marshals and the Williamsport Bureau of Police developed and investigated numerous leads in Williamsport and Newark.

Within the past 10 days, Williamsport-based U.S. Marshals and members of its Middle District of Pennsylvania (M/PA) Fugitive Task Force traveled to Newark to work directly with their USMS counterparts. Teams fanned out in Newark to conduct coordinated, simultaneous investigations and follow-ups. This strategy led to an open dialogue with several associates of Barker and, ultimately, a direct line of communication when the fugitive made contact by telephone with the lead investigator from the Williamsport Bureau of Police.

During the early afternoon hours of September 28, Barker surrendered to law enforcement authorities at his mother’s residence in Newark. Barker surrendered to detectives from the Williamsport Bureau of Police and personnel from the U.S. Marshal Service’s NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force.

Barker, 27 years of age, was taken to Newark Police Department, where he was processed and charged as a fugitive from justice. He is being held without bail, pending an extradition hearing.

U.S. Marshals and task force members from the Northumberland County Adult Probation Office, assisted by officers from the Williamsport Bureau of Police, were relentless in their search for Barker. This cooperative effort led to the timely and safe arrest of Barker.

Additional information about the U.S. Marshals can be found at

America’s Oldest Federal Law Enforcement Agency