News Banner

For Immediate Release

July 29, 2011 Acting U.S. Marshal Dan Phillips
Eastern District of Texas 903-245-4108;
USMS Office of Public Affairs 202-307-9065
‘15 Most Wanted’ Manhunt Ends in Mexico
U.S. Marshals Arrest Suspected Child Killer

Washington – A U.S. Marshals “15 Most Wanted” fugitive, Simon Lopez, 26, was found and taken into custody in Querétaro, a state in North-Central Mexico, by the Mexican Federal Police Thursday. Lopez was expelled from the country, and U.S. Marshals transported him from Mexico to Houston Friday.

Lopez’s arrest was a result of coordination between the U.S. Marshals Service Republic of Mexico Foreign Field Office, the U.S. Marshals Service Eastern District of Texas, the Mexican Federal Police and Mexico’s National Institute of Migration. U.S. Marshals developed information that Lopez was possibly living with family members in Querétaro. The Marshals requested assistance from a Mexican Federal Police specialized unit, which located and detained Lopez without incident.

Mexico’s National Institute of Migration determined that Lopez was living in Mexico illegally and expelled him.

“I cannot emphasize enough that the arrest of any fugitive beyond our borders requires a great deal of teamwork on the part of a number of agencies,” said Geoff Shank, Acting Assistant Director for Investigative Operations of the U.S. Marshals Service. “I thank our law enforcement partners both stateside and in Mexico for their assistance in bringing this dangerous criminal to justice.”

Lopez was wanted for allegations of murder of a 1-year-old child and is charged in Tyler, Texas, with murder and assault. It is alleged that Lopez was babysitting his girlfriend’s two young toddlers, ages 1 and 3, while she went to work on the morning of Nov. 23, 2010. Soon after, Lopez contacted the children’s aunt and notified her Jeremy Sylva, 1, was not breathing. Lopez then dropped the child off at the aunt’s house. The young boy was transported to the hospital and pronounced dead. Medical examiners determined he died from a torn atrium in his heart due to blunt force trauma to his chest.

They also discovered other signs of abuse including strangulation, broken ribs and severe bruising over the child’s body.

“We said from day one that we would not stop until Simon Lopez was caught and that there would be justice for Jeremy Silva," said Dan Phillips, Acting U.S. Marshal for the Eastern District of Texas.

"All of the officers on this case have put in long hours and have been incredibly vigilant in ensuring that we did everything we could to get him in custody. Their efforts are a testimony to the fact that we will not rest until justice is served.”

Additional information about the U.S. Marshals Service can be found at


America’s Oldest Federal Law Enforcement Agency