Skip to Content

U.S. Marshals Service

Asset Forfeiture Program

E-Share Program - Frequently Asked Questions

E-Share Payments

Q: Why has there been a conversion from paper checks to electronic payments?
A : Equitable sharing with state and local law enforcement agencies will now take place electronically in order to comply with the Debt Collection Improvement Act of 1996 which states that Federal agencies must use 21st century business practices i.e. EFT payments.

Q: Could my agency continue to receive paper checks?
A: All state and local agencies have been transitioned to EFT therefore from this point forward all payments will be made electronically. Federal agencies will continue to receive paper checks until their transition to EFT has been completed.

Q: When will we start to receive E-Share payments?
A: Your agency will begin receiving payments through EFT once your ACH form has been submitted and processed.

Q: How will I receive an EFT Payment?
A: Payments will be deposited into your agencies bank account electronically. There will be a separate wire transfer payment for each asset being shared.

Q: How do I know an E-Share payment was made?
A: You will receive an email notification 5-7 business days after a payment has been deposited to your bank account.

Q: Will I receive notification that a payment is pending?
A: No. Due to current system constraints we are only able to notify you of payments after they have been processed. Unfortunately this means you will receive the notification after the payment has been deposited to your account.

Q: What should I do if I don't receive an email notification for a payment?
A: If its been more than 7 business days since you received a payment and you have not received the email notification you should verify that your firewall allows bulk emails with the extension "".

Q: What happens when I receive a payment but I can't identify the asset to which it applies?
A: If the email notification you received 5-7 business days after the payment does not provide enough information to identify the asset to which the payment applies please contact your local USMS district office.

Q: What do I do if the E-Share deposit is not the amount I was expecting?
A: If you have questions concerning the amount of your payment please contact your local USMS district office.

Q: How do I set up a new state or local law enforcement agency to receive E-Share payments?
A: Please contact the E-SHARE helpdesk at or call 202.307.9205. The state or local law enforcement agency must fill out an ACH form USM-391, and submit it.

Q: What happens if I do not have a check to present?
A: Please email the E-Share helpdesk for a presentation check template. is an official site of the U.S. Federal Government, U.S. Department of Justice