Southern District of Ohio
Columbus - District Headquarters
Joseph P. Kinneary U.S.
|The Joseph P. Kinneary U.S.
Courthouse is located at the corner of Marconi Boulevard
and Long Street, along the Scioto River. The Courthouse
is across the street from the Columbus Division of
There are commercial parking facilities on the surrounding streets. The Courthouse is easily accessible from Interstate 70 and Interstate 71.
200 West Second Street
|Dayton is located 50 miles
north of Cincinnati at the intersections of Interstates
70 and 75. Wilbur and Orville Wright, owners of a
bicycle shop on West Third Street, brought worldwide
recognition to Dayton when they gave the world the wings
to fly shortly after the turn of the century.
Success came on December 17, 1903, when they flew the powered aircraft plane in a controlled flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. That success, originally viewed skeptically, was almost immediately credited as the world realized the significance of what had happened.
The work of the Wrights was the start of a long record of aviation accomplishments which has earned Dayton the reputation as Birthplace of Aviation, The first parachute jump, first solo instrument landing, night flying advances, world altitude records, and pioneering in aerial photography have all been part of Dayton's heritage of progress in aviation. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the U.S. Air Force Museum are all located in Dayton.
Dayton was incorporated in 1805, with a government of seven trustees acting as council, a supervisor and a Marshal. The first school opened in 1804; the first library society in 1805. Today, the metropolitan Dayton area has a population of just over 1 million people.
A Parking garage is located across the courthouse on Wilkinson Street. Another, Montgomery County garage is located one block from the building at the corner of Second and St. Mary's Street. The fees at the lots vary from $4 to $8 a day.
|Cincinnati is one of Ohio’s
oldest cities, being founded right after the end of the
Revolutionary War, in 1788. Located on the banks of the
Ohio River, originally named Losantville, in 1788, the
name was changed to Cincinnati by General Arthur St.
Clair, in 1790, in honor of the society of Revolutionary
War officers. It was incorporated as a village in 1802.
What began as a small fur trapping and pioneer village, in the late 1700's, quickly grew to be a major trading port and important stop for travelers and settlers along the Ohio River in the early 1800's. Cincinnati became a major stop and port along the Ohio River as travelers and traders went west from Pennsylvania to St. Louis and to the Mississippi River. Growth was very rapid after the first steamships began to travel the Ohio River in 1816.
During the early 1800's Cincinnati grew to be a major industrial center in the Midwest, with some of the very first steel mills, railroads and manufacturing plants. Cincinnati was at the heart of welcoming the industrial era to the Midwest. By 1850, it was the most important center for hog slaughtering in the USA. Hogs were brought in from Ohio and Indiana and the processed pork was shipped out to all parts of the USA on the Ohio River.
During the Civil War, Cincinnati was often a refuge for runaway slaves from the South, and was a major center for what became known as the “Underground Railroad” a way of secretly bringing slaves across the Ohio River to freedom in the North.
At one time in the mid-1800's, Cincinnati was the sixth largest city in the USA. It remained the largest city in Ohio until 1900, when it was passed by Cleveland.
Cincinnati has the oldest fire department in the USA, which was started in 1802.
Xavier University was founded in 1831. Formerly known as the “Red Stockings”, the Cincinnati Reds were the first professional baseball team in the USA.
Cincinnati was the District Headquarters for the U.S. District Court and the U.S. Marshals Service, in all of Ohio, during the 1800's. By 1900, the state was divided into a northern and a southern district, and the Southern District Headquarters for both the U.S. Courts and the U.S. Marshals was moved from Cincinnati to Columbus by 1950.
Today, Cincinnati continues to be a leader in business and industry, and is the headquarters for the Proctor and Gamble Corporation, the Kroger Foods Corporation, and the Jergens Soap Corporation.
The current U.S. Courthouse, located on the corner of Main Street and East 5th Street, built in 1936, is actually the fourth U.S. Courthouse to occupy this same site. The building formerly housed the main U.S. Post Office for Cincinnati, on the first floor, while the U.S. Courts occupied the upper floors. Today, the Post Office has relocated, and the building is primarily used by the U.S. District Courts, the 6th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, U.S. Probation, U.S. Pretrial Services, U.S. Courts Library, U.S. Court Clerk’s Office, and U.S. Marshals Service.